As WaPo Accuses Trump of 'Abetting Saudi Coverup,' Crown Prince Shielded While Khashoggi 'Murder Team' Members Face Execution
“It’s not surprising at all, but there is something extra evil about ordering the death of a bunch of people who tortured and murdered a dissident on your orders while you pretend you had nothing to do with it.”
That was the sharp reaction from MSNBC‘s Chris Hayes after news emerged Thursday that while Saudi Arabia would continue to shield Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman from responsiblity, the nation’s top court prosecutor would seek the death penalty against five members of the “murder team” that assassinated, and then dismembered, journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul, Turkey last month.
While a full and transparent investigation has yet to be conducted—and the video and audio evidence the Turkish government possesses yet to be made public—reports have strongly suggested the likelihood that the crown prince was directly responsible for ordering the mission and knew the murder of Khashoggi was its goal or a likely outcome:
Responding to the latest statement by the Saudis on Thursday, Turkey’s foreign minister, Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, called it completely insufficient in terms of admitting guilt and said it betrayed the facts and earlier statements acknowledging the murder had been premeditated. “The necessary equipment and people were previously brought in to kill and later dismember him,” he said.
Speaking with The Independent, a Turkish source familiar with the thinking in Ankara described the statement by the Saudi prosecutor as “a great work of fiction” that nobody in the Turkish government is buying. The Saudis, the source said, “wants the world to believe that a group of goons just felt like killing the most prominent non-royal Saudi in the world.”
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT