Brian O’Driscoll nails winning score in extra-time as UCC sneak past Carlow IT into last four
Carlow IT 1-6
IT WAS FAR from convincing but UCC sealed their place in next weekend’s Sigerson Cup semi-finals with a narrow victory over a plucky Carlow IT side.
UCC needed extra-time before they eventually saw off the challenge of a very defensive Carlow IT outfit that they found difficult to break down throughout.
It may well serve as good preparation for UCC’s management team of Billy Morgan and Tomas Ó Sé, because St Mary’s, who they’ll face in the last four, also tend to sit back and put plenty of bodies behind the ball.
Carlow IT lost Luke Flynn to a red card shortly after half-time but a goal from Michael Hurley pushed them into the ascendancy.
UCC, who were without the injured Stephen Cronin of Cork and Kerry’s Brian O Beaglaoich, fought back with Killian Spillane among the scorers before sub Brian O’Driscoll won it for the visitors in extra-time.
The sides were deadlocked at 0-3 apiece after the opening 20 minutes. Cian Dorgan (UCC) and Chris Healy (Carlow IT) did the damage for their respective teams, with both both forwards converting two frees and one from play.
The Cork university opened up a two-point lead when Dorgan and Michael O’Donnell curled over a score each, but Kevin Ryan pulled one back for Carlow IT before the break.
Shortly after the interval, Luke Flynn was sent-off for Carlow but they responded in the best possible manner.
Cork native Michael Hurley, who was introduced off the bench five minutes before half-time, palmed in a goal after good approach play from Healy to give 14-man Carlow IT a welcome boost.
Scores from Jack Kennedy, Ronan Buckley and Spillane (free) pushed UCC back in front by 0-8 to 1-4 after 44 minutes.
Cathal Bambury and Kevin Ryan traded scores before another Healy score levelled the game up and sent us into extra-time.
Cork star O’Driscoll nailed the only score of the extra period as Carlow IT ran out of legs and UCC wrapped up a win by the narrowest of margins.
Scorers for UCC: Cian Dorgan 0-4 (0-2f), Jack Kennedy, Ronan Buckley, Michael O’Donnell , Killian Spillane (0-1f), Cathal Bambury and Brian O’Driscoll 0-1 each.
Scorers for Carlow IT: Chris Healy 0-4 (0-2f), Michael Hurley 1-0, (0-1f) and Kevin Ryan 0-2 each.
1. Micheal Martin (Nemo Rangers, Cork)
4. Lawrence Bastible (John Mitchels, Kerry)
3. Jack McGuire (Listowel Emmets, Kerry)
21. Jason Foley (Ballydonoghue, Kerry)
34. Kevin Crowley (Millstreet, Cork)
26. Michael Flood (Meath)
27. Tom O’Sullivan (Dingle, Kerry)
22. Ian Maguire (St Finbarr’s Cork)
9. Ronan O’Toole (Éire Óg, Cork)
10. Ronan Buckley (Listry, Kerry)
11. Adrian Spillane (Templenoe, Kerry)
8. Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials, Tipperary)
13. Cian Dorgan (Ballincollig, Cork)
31. Killian Spillane (Templenoe, Kerry)
15. Cathal Bambury (Dingle, Kerry)
Click Here: St Kilda Saints Guernsey
23. Michael O’Donnell (Kerry) for Ronan O’Toole, black card 25 mins
24. Alan O’Donovan (Cork) for Cian Dorgan, 44 mins
7. Brian O’Driscoll (Cork) for Ronan Buckley, 55 mins
17. Kevin Flahive (Douglas, Cork) for Jack McGuire, 60 mins
18. Fionan Clifford (Waterville, Kerry) for Lawrence Bastible, 60 mins
20. Cian Kiely (Ballincollig, Cork) for Michael Flood, 60 mins
12. Ian Galvin (Kerry) for Adrian Spillane, 70 mins
1. Robert Samson (St Joseph’s, Louth)
2. James Mitchell (Mohill, Leitrim)
3. Thomas O’Connell (Rathangan, Kildare)
28. Ross Ryan (Meath)
5. Eoin Buggie (Stradbally, Laois)
6. Caolan Ward (St Eunan’s Donegal)
7. Niall Kane (Simonstown Gaels, Meath)
8. Shane Maughan (Ellistown, Kildare)
9. Mark Russell (Lattin-Cullen, Tipperary)
10. Ronan Ryan (Summerhill, Meath)
11. Anthony Dever (Lahardane, Mayo)
12. William Young (Clonaslee, Laois)
13. Kevin Ryan (Summerhill, Meath)
14. Luke Flynn (Johnstownbridge, Kildare)
15. Chris Healy (Two Mile House, Kildare)
30. Michael Hurley (Cork) for Mark Russell, 25 mins
17. Daniel O’Sullivan (Kildare) for James Mitchell, 50 mins
9. Mark Russell (Carlow IT restored to 15 men for ET), 60 mins
27. Ray Cahill (Kildare) for Mark Russell, 75 mins
Sent off: Luke Flynn (34 mins)
Referee: Derek O’Mahony (Tipperary).
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!