Galway’s Killeen hits two goals in dramatic win for Davy Fitz’s LIT over DCU
Limerick IT 2-12
Ciarán Gallagher reports from DCU Sportsground
TWO SECOND-HALF goals from Paul Killeen helped Limerick IT seal a comeback victory over a devastated DCU-Dóchas Éireann at the DCU Sportsgrounds tonight.
The hosts led from the 18th minute until a second goal from Galway’s Killeen with five minutes remaining in normal time.
And Davy Fitzgerald’s side completing their fightback thanks to late points from Waterford’s Shane Bennett and Tipperary substitute Seán Ryan.
The sides were well matched in a tit-for-tat first quarter before a determined DCU took control, with Patrick Curran of Waterford to the fore.
The home side enjoyed the advantage of a slight breeze in the opening half and four points without reply – including an impressive strike from Wexford’s Joe O’Connor – helped them take control, leading 0-8 to 0-4 lead at the break.
LIT’s second-half fightback began with scores from Diarmuid Byrnes of Limerick and Clare’s David Reidy – the latter later booked for a big hit on O’Connor – while Bennett began to find his range more fluidly.
Kileen’s batted goal on 40 minutes reduced the deficit to one and while DCU responded with two converted frees from Curran.
LIT hit three wides on the bounce between the 50th and 55th minute, but Killeen was again on hand to find the net when finishing an impressive team move involving Ryan and Reidy in the build-up.
That score brought the sides level and Bennett’s late double, along with a Ryan point, rescued the win for Fitzgerald’s side.
Scorers for LIT: Paul Killeen 2-0, Shane Bennett 0-6 (0-3f), Diarmaid Byrnes 0-2 (0-1f), David Reidy 0-1, Michael O’Malley 0-1, Peter Duggan 0-1, S Ryan 0-1.
Scorers for DCU: Patrick Curran 0-8 (0-6f), Joe O’Connor 0-2, Paul O’Dea 0-2, Jason Byrne 0-2, Gavin Bailey 0-1.
1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle, Clare)
2. Ciaran Cooney (O’Callaghan Mills, Clare)
3. Kieran Bennett (Ballysaggart, Waterford)
4. Cian Nolan (Smith O’Brien’s, Clare)
5. Willie Ryan (Clonakenny, Tipperary)
6. Barry O’Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry, Limerick)
7. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell, Limerick)
8. David Reidy (Éire Óg, Clare)
9. Michael O’Malley (Kilmaley, Clare)
10. Paul Killeen (Galway)
11. Peter Duggan (Clare)
12. Shane Bennett (Waterford)
13. Jamie Shanahan (Clare)
14. Joe Campion (Laois)
15. David Dempsey (Limerick).
J Ryan (Tipperary)
Oisin O’Brien (Clonlara, Clare)
S Ryan (Tipperary)
Jack Quaid (Effin, Limerick)
1. Robbie Gillen (Cullion, Westmeath)
2. Sean McCaw (St Vincent’s Dublin)
3. Eoghan O’Donnell (Whitehall Colmcille, Dublin)
4. Darragh Brennan (Carrickshock, Kilkenny)
5. Aaron Maddock (St Martin’s, Wexford)
6. Paudie Foley (Crossabeg/Ballymurn, Wexford)
7. Paul O’Dea (Na Fianna, Dublin)
8. Gavin Bailey (Ferns, Wexford)
9. Joe O’Connor (St Martin’s, Wexford)
10. Liam Fahey (Rockwell Rovers, Tipperary)
11. Rian McBride (St Vincent’s, Dublin)
12. Jason Byrne (Clara, Kilkenny)
13. Killian Doyle (Raharney, Westmeath)
14. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan, Waterford)
15. Eoghan Conroy (St Maur’s, Dublin)
Click Here: custom rapid prototyping
AJ Murphy (Na Fianna, Dublin)
Paul Kelly (Craobh Chiaráin, Dublin)
Tony French (Adamstown, Wexford)
Referee: James McGrath (Westmeath)
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!