Tipp’s McGrath and Waterford’s Bennett hit the net as UL see off CIT in Fitzgibbon opener
University of Limerick 2-23
Cork IT 0-16
Declan Rooney reports from UL
TWO GOALS IN a 30-second spell midway through the first-half got University of Limerick’s Fitzgibbon Cup campaign off to a winning start against a youthful Cork IT in Limerick.
Waterford’s Stephen Bennett struck the first and Tipperary star John McGrath the second, as Brian Lohan’s side took CIT apart in the opening half.
Waterford’s Stephen Bennett and Tipperary’s John McGrath both hit the net for UL today.
Starting with eight of the team that lost last year’s final to neighbours Mary Immaculate, UL were a touch ponderous from the off.
A ’65 from McGrath did get them off the mark early on, but after that CIT looked impressive as Michael Cahalane, Michael Kearney and Robbie Hanley all found the target.
Kearney ended the game with 11 points to his name, ten of which came from placed balls on a tough day for free takers, but he was unable to stop UL drawing level and building a healthy lead by the interval.
Mikey Kearney (pictured in action for Waterford) excelled for Cork IT today as he hit 0-11.
Source: Ken Sutton/INPHO
The first goal arrived after 13 minutes when Bennett hit the net, and straight from the puck-out UL bagged their second when McGrath finished easily past Patrick Collins, who made four excellent saves throughout.
Six points without reply saw UL lead by 2-13 to 0-9 at the interval, and with Kearney starting the second-half brightly, a Tomas O’Connor point from the right soon closed CIT’s deficit to eight points.
But a couple of Tony Kelly points from play and impressive impacts from the bench by Ronan Lynch and Barry Nash meant UL were never in trouble.
UL Fitzgibbon Cup manager Brian Lohan
Source: Ken Sutton/INPHO
Scorers for UL: John McGrath 1-8 (0-6f, 1’65), Kevin Hehir 0-4, Stephen Bennett 1-1, Tony Kelly, Barry Heffernan 0-2 each, Aidan McGuane, Tom Morrissey, Gearoid Hegarty, Jason Forde, Ronan Lynch, Barry Nash 0-1 each.
Scorers for Cork IT: Michael Kearney 0-11 (9f, 1’65), Michael Cahalane 0-2, Robbie Hanley, Tomas O’Connor, Andrew Coffey 0-1 each.
1. David McCarthy (Glenroe, Limeirkc)
2. Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh, Limerick)
6. Brian Troy (Emeralds, Kilkenny)
28. Liam O’Connor (Newmarket on Fergus, Clare)
5. Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Eire Og, Tipperary)
12. Jason Forde (Silvermines, Tipperary)
3. David Fitzgerald (Inagh/Kilnamona, Clare)
7. Aidan McGuane (Kilmaley, Clare)
9. Tony Kelly (Ballyea, Clare)
10. Tom Morrissey (Ahane, Limerick)
11. Gearoid Hegarty (St Pat’s, Limerick)
8. Kevin Hehir (Inagh/Kilnamona, Clare)
13. Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart, Waterford)
14. Michael Mullins, (Gort, Galway)
15. John McGrath (Loughmore/Castleiney, Tipperary).
27. Barry Nash (South Liberties, Limerick) for Morrissey (42)
24. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh, Limerick) for Mullins (50)
18. Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle, Clare) for Hegarty (54)
25. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen, Limerick) for Kelly (54)
1. Patrick Collins (Ballinahassig, Cork)
4. Eoin Healy (Ballymartle, Cork)
3. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen, Limerick)
2. Billy Lyons (Causeway, Kerry)
5. John Good (Tracton, Cork)
6. Conor O’Neill (Newcestown, Cork)
19. David Noonan (Glen Rovers, Cork)
9. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock, Limerick)
8. John Buckley (Lixnaw, Kerry)
10. Tomas O’Connor (Inniscarra, Cork)
11. Michael Kearney (Ballyduff, Waterford)
12. Conor Kingston (Douglas, Cork)
13. Michael Cahalane (Bandon, Cork)
14. Colm Keane (St Finbarr’s, Cork)
15. Andrew Coffey (Nenagh Eire Og, Tipperary)
17. Donnacadh Hartnett (Mountmellick, Laois) for Lyons (23)
18. Jerry O’Neill (Courcey Rovers, Cork) for Buckley (27)
20. Shane Walsh (Bride Rovers, Cork) for Hanley (h-t)
21. Alan Keating (Na Piarsaigh, Cork) for Kingston (49)
22. Alan Fenton (Castlelyons, Cork) for O’Connor (49)
Click Here: injection mold
Referee: Alan Kelly (Galway)
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!